Thursday, April 20, 2006

Wombat Blues

I saw three dead wombats today. I've been in Australia barely 24 hours, and already, I'm faced with this unspeakable horror. I saw their bloated road-kill bodies while on the road from Sydney to Canberra. Despite assurances from the song, they were NOT leading "a life, that's like, free of strife", and each seemed to be "one hell of a DEAD marsupial".

I can only take solace in the fact that I didn't kill them myself. Otherwise, it easily could have happened yesterday when I let my sleep-deprived self jump into a car with the steering wheel on the right, and drove from the Sydney airport to my hotel in the city during rush hour traffic, never before having driven in a country where left-lane driving is the norm.

Of course, I wasn't as disturbed by my rental car experience on Wednesday as I was by my cabbie experience on Thursday. After the long ride to/from Canberra with my Aussie work mates, I took a cab back into the city. From my Pakistani cab driver, I learned: that Bill Clinton was the best American president ever, that John Kerry would have been even better, that George Bush orchestrated the Bali bombing to fool the Aussies into supporting America on Iraq (and will have Musharraf murdered if Pakistan doesn't continue to back America), and 9/11 was a conspiracy by the JOOOOOOOOZZZZ. He also said that all Muslims around the world (apparently including himself) would rise up and conduct "the final war" if America attacked Iran. I gave him an extra-large tip, hoping he would bomb MY hotel LAST.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it not true that wombats is short
for women bats or of the female species?As of now there are noo wombats in Tabb, virginia.
We have possoms,but rednecks keep the
roads clear over here.
Stafford and Dad

Monday, April 24, 2006 6:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sick.

Monday, April 24, 2006 2:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You, me, and about what? 3 other people know what you are talking about, at least as far as the 'song' goes. As the writer of the song, I would demand royalties except that I can't even remember all the words of it. But watch your step, mister. If you suddenly seem awash in unaccounted-for wealth, I will attack my archives and no doubt produce the orginal. THEN I WILL SEE YOU IN COURT!

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 4:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, and some of those three people remember the collaborative effort of writing dem blues, as well. Don't spend all your royalties in one place....

The Wombat Haiku however - that was all Jon.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 4:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home